Monday, November 22, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1

I have been waiting for this moment for the longest time and on November 17th I was ready. My friends and I all got together and went out for a drink. Anticipating the movie, we kept singing the song "Mysterious Ticking Noise" from Potter Puppet Pals on YouTube. My favorite part is "Ron, Ron, Ron WEASLEY!" Anyway, I digress.

At 10:30pm, we lined up outside of the theatre and jumped up and down (mostly to regain heat since Kansas was down in the 20s that night) from giddiness. I just wanted in. Finally, the theatre opened the doors and we were in. Because it was so cold outside, the theatre let us in almost 2 hours prior to the midnight release in which we were very thankful for.

The lights dimmed and the previews started. We all became quiet and were hypnotized by the screen. The previews mattered very little. We were hypnotized by the fact that in 15 minutes, we would be seeing the first part of the greatest last movie in a series ever (in our opinion, of course). The WB logo flashed, and the entire audience fell into an eerie hush. The movie had started.

From the first minute, the movie was everything I had hoped for. Because the movie has been split into two sections, the first part was able to follow the book more closely than any other Harry Potter movie before it. The traveling scenes, in which I was actually worried would be too long and too boring, ended up being just what the movie needed. The characters were shown in different locations, walking and camping, but spent little time showing the progression of the traveling itself. This, in my opinion, was fantastic because the book became a bit slow during all of the traveling. I understand that this was to make the reader just as anxious and frustrated as the characters, but I felt like in the movie the characters portrayed this feeling without having to draw out the camping segments.

The dynamic between characters was also something that I had hoped would be better than the last few movies. I felt a different type of connection. It wasn't something that could be taken lightly. The trio's dynamics were intense and when they were sad, I was sad. When they were angry, I was angry. The overall feeling of the movie was there.

I'm definitely not very versed in reviewing movies, but I thought I had to put this up since it dealt with my favorite series of all time. I absolutely love the Harry Potter books and movies, and so this is something that I feel strongly about.

I hope to all who have seen it enjoy it and agree that this movie is the best that has been produced within the series. If you haven't seen it, get ready to be in love with the characters all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment